When Mark Land, PE, CFM, Vice President of Snyder & Associates began working at Snyder & Associates he knew he was in the right place.
“We get the opportunity to work on projects that help improve public safety, health, and welfare. It’s really cool to see something you’ve worked on be constructed and utilized,” he shares. “I started here as an intern and never left because I love coming to work. There’s always something interesting going on, and there’s never a dull moment.”
“Our board of directors and supervisors put a lot of time and thought into how we can do things with our employees in mind,” says Land. “From diversity in the type of work we do to recognizing the hard work and achievements of our staff, we believe an atmosphere where people feel valued and have the support they need to be successful is essential.”
A variety of events and social activities including an annual golf outing, company picnic, and holiday party, support a family atmosphere with opportunities to form lasting friendships.
During the firm’s 25th anniversary in 2002, an annual employee recognition event was born that honors employees for their service and volunteer community involvement in five-year increments.
“We have employees that have worked here for over 35 years,” shares Human Resources Director Warner Coffman, who himself marks ten years of service with the firm. “Despite our growth, we’ve maintained the feel of a small firm with a reliable culture that allows people to take ownership of their careers.”
As of January 1, 101 employees—approximately 40 percent of the entire staff—have 10 or more years of tenure.
During this year’s annual employee recognition event, 37 employees were honored. Those with five years of tenure received a plaque, while employees with 10, 15, and 25 years of service receiving a marker to add to their five-year plaques.
“This event is a fun opportunity to hang out with our team and build comradery while recognizing the work everybody has done to help the company be successful,” shares Megan Derby, Engineering Technician at Snyder & Associates’ Council Bluffs location.
So what do employees enjoy and why do they stay? What makes Snyder & Associates a great place to work? Here’s what some of this year’s honorees shared.
From upper management on down the line, the quality of people that work here is top notch. I have worked with a variety of employees from several of our offices and the way everyone approaches their work with a focus on not just meeting, but exceeding, the goals of our clients is inspiring. – Mike Wahl, Engineering Technician, Madison, WI
The company has a good combination of large firm resources, but small firm operation that I’ve appreciated over the years. It’s a positive work environment that recognizes a need for work-life balance. Employees are valued both as individuals and as components of the firm’s continued success. – Wes Farrand, PE, Water/Wastewater Civil Engineer, Ankeny, IA
We’re involved in all types of projects from public infrastructure to private development with a variety of clients, and our coworkers are helpful and hardworking. – Shawn Duke, PE, Civil Engineer, St. Joseph, MO
I like improving the local areas in which I live. It’s a good company to work for with great people. – Mike Jorgensen, PLS, Land Surveyor, Atlantic, IA
Good pay and benefits. My loyalty to the firm has always been rewarded. – Jeremy McCormick, Engineering Technician, Ankeny, IA
It’s family oriented and flexible. I also get to work on different projects. One day, I might be surveying a wind farm, the next day I’m surveying from a boat. – Steve Meyer, Survey Technician, Ankeny, IA
No two days are the same, and I enjoy the challenging work environment. Hard work is rewarded, and we are given the freedom to succeed. – Tim Forinash, LSI, Land Surveyor, Cedar Rapids
2018 Employee Appreciation
- Mark Land, PE, CFM, Vice President – Ankeny, IA
- Gregg Leaders, IT Manager – Ankeny, IA
- Jeremy McCormick, Engineering Technician – Ankeny, IA
- Rodney Carlson, Engineering Technician – Council Bluffs, IA
- Tim Forinash, LSI, Land Surveyor – Cedar Rapids, IA
- Mike Jorgensen, PLS, Land Surveyor – Atlantic, IA
- Steve Kunz, PE, Structural Engineer – Des Moines, IA
- Brian Leonard, Survey Technician – Ankeny, IA
- Steve Meyer, Survey Technician – Ankeny, IA
- Kim Pfaltzgraff, Administrative Assistant – Ankeny, IA
- Alicia Worden, Construction Engineer – Ankeny, IA
- Dawn Breeden, Administrative Assistant – Ankeny, IA
- Wes Farrand, PE, Civil Engineer – Ankeny, IA
- Vanessa Farrell, Administrative Assistant – Ankeny, IA
- Ted Jansen, Land Surveyor – Ankeny, IA
- Travis Lampe, Survey Technician – Cedar Rapids, IA
- Mindy Sauer, Graphic Designer – Ankeny, IA
- Warner Coffman, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, Director of Human Resources – Ankeny, IA
- Megan Derby, Engineering Technician – Council Bluffs, IA
- Diane Goering, PLA, Landscape Architect – Ankeny, IA
- Ivo Lopez, Ph.D., PE, Civil Engineer – Ankeny, IA
- Meagan Archer, Administrative Assistant – Des Moines, IA
- Shawn Duke, PE, Civil Engineer – St. Joseph, MO
- Heather Fitz, Engineering Technician – Ankeny, IA
- Lara Guldenpfennig, PLA, Landscape Architect – Ankeny, IA
- David Hellickson, Engineering Technician – Ankeny, IA
- Chad Hinze, Engineering Technician – Des Moines, IA
- Joshua Kruse, CPA, Accountant – Ankeny, IA
- Jason Ledden, PE, Civil Engineer – Ankeny, IA
- Andrea Marsh, EI, Civil Engineer – Ankeny, IA
- Steve D. Meyer, Design Automation Specialist – Ankeny, IA
- Preston Moon, EI, Civil Engineer – Ankeny, IA
- Chris Pedersen, PE, Civil Engineer – Atlantic, IA
- Jordan Stoermer, PE, Civil Engineer – Ankeny, IA
- Steve Theis, Engineering Technician – Ankeny, IA
- Mike Wahl, Engineering Technician – Madison, WI